Sunday, July 4, 2010

Collecting In Columns

   Remember those ads several years ago for columnar apple trees that had been bred to simply produce fruit in the smallest area possible?  Well they really do work.  This tree is over 6 feet tall and just over a foot wide.  As you can see there is no shortage of apples this year and all my other "normal" apple trees have hardly any fruit on them.  I was sure with the shortage of bees around this spring that it would not be great for fruit but this tree seems to have ignored that problem.  Only one final hurdle ....  what will the fruit taste like?  I mentioned within hearing distance of the tree that if the apples aren't superb that I'm firing up the chainsaw.

Apple wood is good for smoking salmon isn't it?

1 comment:

  1. Very cool. My local nursery has them and I wanted to try them out. I might now!

    ReplyDelete