Sunday, July 11, 2010

FLASHBACK #102

   A look back at a great day picking Lobster mushrooms (Hypomyces lactifluorum).  This is not actually a mushroom but a parasite that has completely engulfed it's host mushroom.  There are those that are concerned about eating this because it is impossible to identify exactly which mushroom was the host.  Generally it is either a Lactarius (milk cap) or a Russula such as Russula brevipes.  Be that as it may they are widely eaten and enjoyed for their seafood-like flavour.  It's obvious looking at them where they got their common name as they really do resemble a cooked lobster.  If they do have one drawback it's got to be how difficult they are to clean.  Lucky for me this is where I call on my wife to get involved in my passion. 
She washes I dry .....


No comments:

Post a Comment