Thursday, June 10, 2010

Pretty In Pink?

    Ok now that you have "collected" these critters what to do with them?  Pink salmon are notoriously soft and don't have the longest shelf life so they need quick processing.  Personally I'm partial to anything smoked so I decided to try a recipe for "Indian Candy".  I had heard mention of this treatment some time ago but I waited until my sister-in-law sent us some real maple syrup from Ontario. I found a recipe online and modified it slightly to my taste.

1/2 Gallon water
1 cup pickling salt
2 cups dark brown sugar
1 cup of real maple syrup
Stir all together until sugar dissolved
Clean and dress salmon.  Cut to preferred size
Put fish in brine for 48 hours.

Basting liquid:
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup water
Smoke fish for 8 to 10 hours, basting frequently,  or until very firm but NOT leathery.  You are not making jerky here.
















Mention casually to your spouse that you have read on the Internet that smoked fish has been known to be carcinogenic ....

No comments:

Post a Comment