Friday, May 21, 2010

Bzzzzt WARNING!

    We could hear the buzzing before we got to the nest and it was obvious the wasps weren't happy about us being so close.  My "shrooming" partner couldn't resist I guess and to my amazement he gave the nest a poke with his hiking stick.  It's been a few years since I moved that fast but when I saw about fifty cranky wasps come tumbling out of the bottom of the nest I was on my way ....  DAMN fast I might add...
       As we continued on our way I pondered on just how much inbreeding had occurred in his lineage.  There's more than enough ways to get hurt while out hunting mushrooms without inviting a bunch of angry wasps into your airspace.  The one thing we did agree on was how weird it was that they had built their nest on something as unstable as a fern frond.

No comments:

Post a Comment