Sunday, May 30, 2010
I suppose I have to learn to stretch outside my comfort zone if I'm going to reach the heights that this fellow has attained. After all isn't the ultimate goal to get that great tasting collected meal?
Besides who doesn't enjoy hanging out in the outdoors ....
Saturday, May 29, 2010
I would have kept this little guy if I hadn't previously read the following instructions on how to prepare Octopus:
1) Turn the octopus inside out just as you would do with a pair of socks.
2) Clean the octopus under warm running water for approximately one minute.
3) Remove the beak (little hard ball found at the centre), the eyes and the ink sack.
4) Turn the octopus right side out again.
5) Boil the whole octopus in enough water to cover it entirely. Most octopus cook within one hour. A good way to determine if it is ready is by inserting a knife blade where the octopus head meets the legs. If the blade yields with no resistance the octopus is done.
6) Rinse the octopus in cold water and remove the slimy parts.
Imagine if we had to turn cows or chickens inside out in order to clean them ... All those that would have become Vegans raise your hands .....
Thursday, May 27, 2010
Just the same I'm a little concerned that we came across three fairly large crabs that were dead on the beach ....
Maybe there IS something to the myth?
Monday, May 24, 2010
They look so damn inviting and photogenic they just have to be edible .... right? Well if you read the literature on Amanitas it should be apparent that all that looks good isn't always good for you. On the top is Amanita muscaria which has an edibility description of: *** poisonous containing both sweat-inducing and mild hallucinogenic poisons which can cause delirium and coma ***. Next is Amanita pantherina which has an edibility description of: *** very poisonous, sometimes deadly ***. The first words of caution that I was given when I started to collect wild mushrooms was "learn the poisonous ones FIRST!" The rest may only make you slightly ill if you have an allergy to them. Best advice I have had in some time ....
Friday, May 21, 2010
As we continued on our way I pondered on just how much inbreeding had occurred in his lineage. There's more than enough ways to get hurt while out hunting mushrooms without inviting a bunch of angry wasps into your airspace. The one thing we did agree on was how weird it was that they had built their nest on something as unstable as a fern frond.
Wednesday, May 19, 2010
After all they don't just grow on trees you know ....
Monday, May 17, 2010
Just exactly how many calories is in one of these little dioxin catchers?